Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't Call Me a Victim by Gary Bergeron


Don't Call Me a Victim is written by Gary Bergeron and published by Arc Angel Publishing. It is a book about faith, hope and sexual abuse in the catholic church.


From his childhood years as a victim of sexual abuse at the hands of one of Boston's most notorious priest's Rev. Joseph Birmingham, to his emergence as a leading spokesperson, this book details Bergeron's private meetings with church officials and his inside knowledge of the largest lawsuit ever filed against the Catholic Church. This first hand account of an insiders road from victim to survivor is truly inspiring. Don't Call Me A Victim, Faith, Hope & Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church, allows its readers to walk in his shoes.

To purchase a copy of the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0975899341/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1270494504&sr=8-1&condition=new

Amazon reader comments:

By Fr. Patrick McCafferty "Fr Paddy McCafferty" (Belfast, Ireland)

This review is from: Don't Call Me a Victim (Hardcover)
"Don't Call Me A Victim: Faith, Hope & Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church" is a truly remarkable book. It is a profoundly moving testimony. Reading it was a deeply affecting experience.

One can only be full of deep admiration for Gary Bergeron, his brother, his fellow survivors - Olan Horne, Bernie McDaid - and all the others.

I am a Catholic priest from Belfast in the north of Ireland. I also was sexually abused as a child beginning at age four by a child-minder. It marked me deeply as a child - plunging me into a world of fear and terror. I was also trying to grow up in the midst of the terrible violence that was a feature of daily life in Northern Ireland until quite recently.

To compound the trauma I suffered at such a tender age, I was also sexually assaulted on numerous occasions by a priest when I was a young student for the priesthood. This man used force and psychological manipulation to attack me. I felt helpless and that I was to blame - that I would have been the one in trouble - victims of sexual predators will know the deal and how we are made to feel.

All these accumulated experiences had horrific consequences for me. I couldn't sleep without the most awful nightmares. I couldn't eat without being sick almost immediately afterwards. I was self-harming with knives, etc. I suffered panic attacks and so on. I was eventually diagnosed as suffering from PTSD.

A great depth of thanks to Gary Bergeron for this amazing book, for sharing his courageous journey with us. When I was reading it, so many powerful emotions were surfacing - grief and tears, rage against the institutional Church, deep sorrow and distress at all that Gary and so many other innocents had to endure - I could go on.

Thanks to Gary and all the others for taking such a courageous stand against the powerful institution of the Catholic Church - too much of which has betrayed and abandoned Jesus Christ Himself - in the person of the children who suffered so horrendously at the hands of some of the very people - who were supposed to minister in Jesus' Name.

I too think often of the ones who never made it and who died as a result of the consequences - the injuries inflicted upon their hearts, souls, minds, bodies and spirits.

As a priest, I too have taken a very strong public stand on the issue of sexual abuse of children, young people and vulnerable adults by clergy. As Gary Bergeron puts it so well on p.277 of his book: "...you could be on the outside of the Church doors and when they are closed, no one inside hears you. Or you could sit inside, in their home, where they have to look at you, and they can't ignore you".

That what I'm doing - I'm staying in the Church because of Jesus Christ and to do whatever little I can to help heal my fellow human beings who suffered the crime and tragedy of being abused, as well as to heal the Church itself.

I really hope that Gary Bergeron and his friends are now doing well. I wish them much peace and continued healing on their own journey of life. How delightful to hear about the Harley Davidson and I'm sure everyone wishes Gary much joy and safe traveling as he rides around New England with the wind in his face and the sun on his back!

God bless him. His books gives hope. I trust that those who read it - especially those who suffered the horror of sexual abuse when they were children and young people - will be greatly encouraged and strenghthened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Call Me A Victim, October 6, 2004
By Kathleen Sannizzaro (Topsfield, Massachusetts)

This review is from: Don't Call Me a Victim (Hardcover)
I recently read "Don't Call Me A Victim" by Gary Bergeron and I literally could not put it down. Throughout the book I laughed (the author's humor is amazing in light of his situation).. and I cried..and when I was done with the book I told everyone I knew to read it! It is truly a riveting story told with humility and passion....leaving me to believe he truly is not a victim but a survivor and an inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Survivor, January 22, 2005
By Linda K (USA)

This review is from: Don't Call Me a Victim (Hardcover)
This book truly puts a personal face to a global situation. The approach of forgiveness, realistic expectations, accountablility, faith, spirituality and perserverance for what he believes is right was heartwarming. Excellent book. Highly recommended. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment